(Update – I have besides made a video for this tutorial located here.

Please let me know which version you like better!)

I was completely overwhelmed by all the wonderful comments everyone left when I originally posted this skirt. I never thought that such a simple garment would get such a reaction. Though I do call up the cute child had A Lot to do with information technology! For those who asked, I wasn't using whatsoever processed bribes, asking her age, or annihilation else along those lines. Information technology was but a really lucky shot. (The ane out of 85 where she wasn't looking at the dirt. lol) I have no idea why her fingers are similar that, I call back she was only laughing at something she said to herself!

And so. . .Let's make one! (the brim, not the kid!)

If you read the post from yesterday, you know pretty much what we're gonna practice. If you didn't, you might desire to check out the tips at the bottom fifty-fifty if you lot already know how to shirr.

Stuff yous'll need:

elastic thread
regular thread
fabric
ribbon (optional)

To determine exactly how much material you'll need refer to the charts below.

For small-scale children:

If your fabric width is too brusk by an inch or two don't sweat it. This is a very forgiving procedure. Whatever you make with the above chart will probably fit the kid for 2 years or more!

I used i rectangle that was 44 inches broad 10 17 inches long to make this skirt. After y'all decide the length you would like it to exist on your kid, you need to add at to the lowest degree 2¼ inches to the top edge in lodge to get the "paper-bag" look. The hem can be whatsoever you lot like, but make information technology extra long if you want to be able to permit it out a scrap side by side yr. I'm on a wide hem kick right now, and so I left 2½ inches for my hem.

For older children:

Follow the developed chart, replacing the 32-34 with the entire waist measurement of your child.
(ex. If Reli measures xx inches, I should have two 20 inch broad rectangles)

For adults:

Unless you are teeny tiny (like a size 0) this should piece of work for yous. I'thou a size 6 4 and had enough of room even though my fabric only totaled lx inches wide instead of the regular 64-68ish called for.

Hither is how I prepped my fabric:

Fold the top edge under ¼ inch and iron a crease. So fold the same edge over 1 inch and iron another crease.

Repeat with the hem and then that you lot have two more creases. (Mine are at ½ and and so two inches.)

Ok, Now that you accept your fabric set up, here we get!

Fold the rectangle right sides together and stitch along the short side (using regular thread). Seam allowance is upwards to yous, but I ordinarily just use the border of my presser foot. Exercise whatever feels comfortable. It won't change the end result.

make sure y'all unfold the creases before sewing the seam

Press open up the seam and refold the creased edges.

Now yous can stitch down the hem and pinnacle edge.

(If you are making a skirt and wish to add together rubberband to the waist casing instead of leaving it "paper-pocketbook" way; sew the casing leaving a 1 inch opening, simply do not thread the elastic through until the very end.)

Stitch the top border at 7/8 inch
Handy hint: use a piece of masking tape as a guide for a large hem.
Then you can easily skin it off when you're finished.

Now it's time for the good role. Grab your elastic thread and wind information technology effectually a bobbin by paw. You don't want to stretch it while you do this, just keep it taunt. Thread your auto like normal* and lengthen your stitch. (Check hither if you need more than info on this part.) *regular thread on top and elastic on the bobbin*

Before adding the rubberband, your fabric should exist a tube similar this.

(Make certain your material is Right SIDE Upwardly!) Line your presser foot up with the stitches you sewed along the top border. (I kept my rows only ¼ apart. If you lot make them too far autonomously it will change the look)  Proceed your stitching parallel until y'all get effectually to the showtime over again. So bending your line down to course the next row of the screw. I just keep using the ¼" marking on my presser foot as a guide.

Proceed going round and round until you reach your desired length and stop at the side seam. Brand certain you back sew at the beginning and end, and it doesn't hurt to tie the two threads into a knot before trimming them. (I've never had anything unravel, but simply in instance.) Hit it with some steam or mist volition a spray bottle & press. Information technology will shrink up even more than in the launder.

This is a close-upward of the beginning and end of my spiral. This brim had vii rows, and the ladybug had 6 rows.
The larger the brim you are making, the more rows you volition demand.

Now add together a belt or a length of ribbon and Voila! Pop it on your kid and add their film to my Your tART flicker group.

"shoe?"

I bet you had then much fun, you desire to brand another ane correct? Allow's make a skirt for you lot this time. You know you deserve it, especially since y'all are ever making such astonishing stuff for other people.

Grab your material. (You know the one, yeah, to the left. The one you've been saving just for yourself but never knew what to make. Pssst, this brim will notwithstanding fit even if you lot

gain

lose a few pounds. But do it!)

Consult the chart above and cut out your rectangles. I fabricated my upper edge casing smaller considering I didn't want mine to take that "paper-pocketbook" await. If you desire the ruffle type edge completely gone, thread a piece of regular elastic through the casing.

Follow the aforementioned steps as you would for making a baby brim. Refer to options B & C if yous have any questions. You'll end upwards with something like this…

These were taken earlier I hemmed it, so that you could moving-picture show it as a loftier waist what I'm calling the "dress" look, (not very flattering on me) and also just a regular old skirt.

Ok, and then I am one of the nearly un-photogenic people on the planet, and it just so happens that every time Ant takes my moving picture he makes me look fatter (Thanks Honey!). Put that together with a tank-peak that makes the girls look huge and we don't exactly have a winning combination. But, I wanted y'all to exist able to see the adult version of the skirt.

Y'all are now ready to become forth and shirr til your piffling heart is content! If you're up for something a bit more exciting, use this peachy tutorial from Jessica at Running with Scissors and add pockets!

P.Southward. I'm sure y'all have all figured out how easy information technology can be to change the size of the rectangles and make something other than a skirt. If you're still a bit leery though, I'll be sharing some other tutorial on Mon about how to make a top/dress. See y'all then!